Sweet Potato & Lentil Stew
Indulge in the comforting flavours of a sweet potato and lentil stew, infused with aromatic spices like turmeric, cumin, and mustard seeds, simmered in creamy coconut milk and served alongside fluffy coconut cream naan. Top it off with fresh cilantro, chutney, and a squeeze of lime for a truly satisfying meal.
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon onion seeds
- 2 cups diced sweet potatoes
- 1 1/2 cups cooked brown lentils
- 300ml coconut milk
- Vegetable stock, as needed
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Chutney, for serving
- Naan bread, for serving
- Cilantro, for serving
Coconut Cream Naan:
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 packet instant yeast
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 3 tablespoons melted margarine
- Heat olive oil in a pan, then add the chopped red onion and spices. Fry until fragrant.
- Add the sweet potatoes, lentils, coconut milk, and vegetable stock. Simmer until the sweet potatoes are tender.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve the stew with additional coconut milk, fresh cilantro, chutney, and fluffy naan bread.
- For the Coconut Cream Naan, combine sugar, warm water, and instant yeast in a bowl. Let it activate for a few minutes.
- In a separate bowl, mix all-purpose flour, coconut cream, salt, oil, and melted margarine. Add the activated yeast mixture and knead the dough.
- Divide the dough into four pieces and let it rise in a greased bowl. Once risen, roll out the dough slightly on a floured surface.
- Fry the naan in a hot pan greased with oil until browned on both sides.
- Serve the Coconut Cream Naan alongside the sweet potato and lentil stew.