Chicken and Quinoa with Cranberries
Pack in the protein with this double-dosed recipe that contains animal and plant-based sources.
Why we love it:
Olive oil is a rich source of oleic acid, a monounsaturated omega-9 fatty acid that gives the oil a high smoke point and, therefore, makes it ideal for use in cooking.
Quinoa is a protein-packed grain, delivering 14g of this muscle-building macronutrient in every 100g serving. It’s also a great source of dietary fibre and a range of vitamins and minerals. That’s why it’s considered a super grain!
- 3 large chicken breasts
- ¾ cup Lifestyle Food Quinoa
- ¾ cup dried cranberries
- 2 tbsp Lifestyle Food Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Half a yellow pepper
- 1/2 cup of fresh veggies
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp Lifestyle Food Choice Grade Honey
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 tsp dried sage
- Lifestyle Food Fine Himalayan Salt
- Lifestyle Food Black Pepper
- Cut the chicken breasts into strips. Rub the chicken with the chopped garlic, sage, salt and pepper. Place in a bowl or baking dish with the ¼ cup lemon juice and the red wine vinegar. Cover and refrigerate for at least a half hour.
- Place the quinoa and 1½ cups of water in a sauce pan. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce to a simmer and cover. Wait for the quinoa to become al dente (firm to the bite).
- When the chicken is ready, grill it until completely cooked through. Then set aside and allow to cool. Be sure to keep the sauce left over in the pan.
- While the chicken cools, whisk the olive oil, balsamic vinegar and honey with some salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Once the chicken has cooled, chop into cubes. Toss the chicken with the quinoa, cranberries and sauce. Top with fresh veggies.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and serve.