Gluten-Free Vegetable Pie
A freshly baked pie is always a winner, especially when it comes to a hearty dinner. This veggie pie is gluten-free and perfect for meat-free Mondays.
- 3 tablespoons margarine
- ¼ cup Lifestyle Food Gluten Free Cake Flour
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 ½ cups soy milk
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cup mixed corn, peas and carrots
- 1 packet button mushrooms
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
For the Biscuit Topping:
- 2 cups gluten-free all self-raising flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted margarine, cold and cut into cubes
- 1 cup vegan buttermilk (mix 1 cup soy milk with 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar)
- 1 cup shredded dairy-free cheddar cheese
- Fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon melted margarine
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius. In a medium pot, melt 3 tablespoons of margarine over medium heat.
- Add ¼ cup flour and whisk for 1 minute. Slowly whisk in stock and milk. Bring to a boil, whisking almost constantly, then reduce heat to a simmer. Continue to whisk for 5 minutes or until it begins to thicken.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a 12-inch cast-iron skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened. Add the garlic and cook, stirring for 1 minute more.
- Pour the thickened milk mixture into the cast iron skillet along with the other vegetables, corn, carrots, peas, and mushrooms. Season to taste with salt and pepper and add the thyme, rosemary, and parsley. Transfer the pan to the oven while you make the biscuits.
- To make the biscuits, place gluten-free flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and garlic powder in a food processor and pulse to combine.
- Add the cold margarine and pulse 5-7 times until the butter is pea-sized. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and stir in the vegan buttermilk, being careful not to over-mix. Fold in the cheddar cheese and chives.
- Remove the cast-iron skillet from the oven and carefully drop large spoonfuls of biscuit dough neatly on top, roll out if the dough is too thick.
- Return the pan to the oven and bake for 15 minutes or until the biscuits are cooked through and lightly browned on top.
- Remove from the oven and brush the biscuits with melted margarine.
- Cool for 10 minutes before serving.