It’s that time of year again, and what better way to celebrate than with freshly baked gingerbread cookies?
• 1 tbsp ground flax seed
• 3 tbsp water
• ¾ cup vegan butter, softened
• ¾ cup coconut sugar
• ⅔ cup molasses
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
• 3 cups Lifestyle Food Self-Raising Flour
• 1 scoop Biogen Vanilla Protein Powder
• 1 tsp baking soda
• 1 tbsp ground ginger
• 1 tsp cinnamon
• ½ tsp cloves
• ½ tsp salt
1. Combine ground flax seed with water in a small bowl and let sit for 10 minutes. This makes a flax egg.
2. In a separate, large bowl, beat together vegan butter, brown sugar and molasses until creamy, about 3 minutes.
3. When the flax egg is ready, add that and vanilla to the bowl and beat again.
4. Add in flour, protein powder, baking soda, spices and salt.
5. Stir these together with a spatula until combined, and use your hands to form 2 equal size balls.
6. Lay down a piece of parchment paper, then one ball, then another same size piece of parchment paper on top, and roll out the dough to 1 ½ cm thick.
7. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
8. Cut out gingerbread men or other desired shapes. Transfer cutouts to a baking sheet.
9. Place in oven and cook for 9-11 minutes.
10. Remove and transfer to a cooling rack and cool completely before icing.
11. Repeat with the remaining ball of dough, and decorate as desired.