Butternut Pastry Pockets
Meat-free Mondays have never been easier with these delicious butternut pastry pockets.
- 1 medium butternut, peeled and de-seeded
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice for stuffing
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp raw honey
- 1 crushed garlic clove
- 1/2 tsp natural ground turmeric
- Beetroot-infused salt to taste
- Mixed seeds
- Crushed hazelnuts
- Vegan feta
- Fresh herbs
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Place the peeled butternut on a baking tray and slice horizontally into little pockets, be sure not to cut through, drizzle with oil and bake for 25 minutes or more until almost cooked through.
2. Let it chill and roll out the puff pastry, place the butternut on top of the puff pastry and cut out the shape leaving 1 cm open to fold over the edges.
3. Stuff the butternut with some rice or filling of choice and fold over the puff pastry. Brush the edges with the glaze, sprinkle on some mixed seeds, and brush the leftover glaze with the rest of the butternut.
4. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden.
5. Serve the butternut with crushed roasted hazelnuts, vegan feta and fresh herbs.